Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Sleep

The Wednesday before last, Nathanh had a horrible night.  The worst he's had with us.  He kept waking up, wanting held, wouldn't transfer back down...I ended up sleeping on his floor for about three hours while he was in the vibrating chair beside me.  At about 4:00am I put him in his crib - crying - and went to bed.  When Erwin woke and stated that Nathanh was crying (he'd been asleep the whole time) I just declared that I was trying the cry yourself to sleep method, rolled over and proceeded to go to sleep myself.  Erwin then decided to take over.  After a failed few tries at soothing him, Erwin brought Nathanh to me in bed and said that he wanted me...it was a bad night!

Well things haven't been THAT bad since but Nathanh's sleep has been far from perfect.  He falls asleep easily but wakes, with what we once thought were cute, soother emergencies and more recently with cloth emergencies.  Meaning that when his soother falls out of his mouth or he can't find his cloth he starts crying, we would go in give it back to him and usually have to pick him up for a couple of minutes to get him back to sleep.  The problem was that these little "emergencies" were starting to happen 10-12 times per night...no longer cute!

Well, yesterday was a particularly cranky day, whether it be teething, a little cough, or Erwin having been away on business for a few days, we decided the sleep pattern was not helping matters.  So after Nathanh was asleep Erwin and I sat down and discussed a plan of action.  We had all of the night time scenarios worked out and a plan in place for all of them.  Then we went to bed early anticipating a lot of crying during the night and a very rough night for all of us. 

What happened???  Well, I am guessing that Nathanh overheard our plan or something because it was the best night's sleep I have had since mid-October!  He did wake once but it was a quick in and out from me (10 seconds to pop in the soother) and then his night time feed, which we have decreased to 4 oz. so that we can start to eliminate it altogether.  And the rest of the night he slept, without a peep, until 9:08 this morning! 

He was so happy when he got up, not at all cranky like yesterday!  I am also happy to report that the morning nap time plan worked too and now Nathanh and Daddy are out at swim class! 

Now the question is will Nathanh stick to the plan tonight?  I don't know, but mommy and daddy will:)

No comments: