Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Paperwork Follow Up

Nathanh seems to be having an extra long nap today...yeah!  So I finally had a chance to follow up on some paperwork that I have not gotten back yet.  I received Nathanh's official change of name certificate after only about two weeks so I had it back way back in December but I have not received his BC CareCard and I have had no mention from my employer or MSP that it had been received / processed.  So it was a bit worrying...I always worry about lost or missing paperwork!  Besides that, until we receive his CareCard we are responsible to pay for all of Nathanh's medical costs up front.  The costs get reimbursed back to the date that he first entered Canada but doctor, pediatrician and lab work bills are costly!

Anyways, I was actually able to reach someone at MSP after only being on hold for about 4 minutes...I think that might be record timing!  And yes she was able to confirm that they received all of the paperwork from my employer and that it is just being processed which should take 21 - 25 days.  She was also able to confirm that it was being issued in Nathanh's name (not his Vietnamese name) as we did not have the change of name certificate when I applied.  So all is good and now my little angel has awoken from his nap so I've got to go!

3 comments:

Francesca said...

So you do not have to wait a year to have his name legally changed?...thanks for any info. on this...

Tammi and Erwin said...

Legal name changes are done by BC Vital Statistics and you can do them right away. I do not know if this is the same in every province though.

Peter and Kim said...

I would have thought that the msp person you spoke to would have given you his actual carecard # as this is usually pretty quick, it is the rest of the paperwork that sits on someone's desk. Anyways, once you have the number and the correct name on the card, you should be able to use that # whenever you need it. Not sure how the 'employer pays' works for your school district but my previous experience is that can cause a hold-up.
Hopefully you'll get the card, or just the number soon.