Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Immunizatons

Yes, today was immunization day for Nathanh.  This was the first of two appointments to catch him up to the regular Canadian schedule of vaccinations.  He got three shots in his upper thighs, two in his left thigh and one on his right.  He was pretty good about it...I mean he cried of course but he settled quickly afterwards.  I didn't notice any side effects throughout the day, except perhaps he was a bit crankier than usual before bedtime.

He was extra hungry today though...he ate a lot!  For breakfast he had two tablespoons of wheat cereal mixed with 1oz formula and one apple cube and a dash of cinnamon.  He had a 6oz bottle before nap time and ate chicken mixed with apple (2 cubes chicken, 2 cubes apple), 2 cubes broccoli and about 6-8 Nutrios (like Cheerios), another 6 oz bottle before his afternoon nap and for dinner he had fish, carrot and potato pure (1 cube), 2 cubes peas, 1 cube sweet potato, 1/4 of an avocado, 2 cubes pears, 6-8 Nutrios and then about a 1/8 of a pear in a food bag.  He then had about 6 oz. of his before bed bottle.  His middle of the night feed is always 4 oz. So totalling up his 24 hour food intake - he had 23oz of formula, about 14 oz. of food (I count the cubes as 1 oz) plus the Nutrios...does that seem a lot to anyone else?

For a baby who is consistently underweight for his age, I really do not think it is because he doesn't eat enough!

After his immunizations today I thought he deserved a little present so we went and bought the little food bag.  I had been wanting to get him one for awhile but we never seem to be heading in the right direction.  Here is a picture of him enjoying cut up pear in the food bag and me not having to worry about choking!
I think it looks a bit like an ice cream cone!

Those top teeth are getting bigger...two of them show up when smiling now!

Can you see my tonsils?
In other news, today is also Vietnamese New Year, Tet.  We are looking forward to celebrating with all of the group 8 families and a few others on Saturday!
Chúc mung nam moi to all of our family and friends!

2 comments:

Francesca said...

Hi Tammi, seems like doctors have different ideas...while our sons are about the same age, Matteo's doctor does want him to catch up on vaccines but she is giving them to him one month apart, one each time...Matteo has reacted to both....the one last month, on the same day he had a fever, and this one, the day after he was definitely not himself....so I'm glad he has not had then all at once...so glad to hear that your son has not reacted...but my doctor's rational is that if we give him more than one shot, and he reacts, we wouldnt' know which shot it was.....also on the food, Matteo is eating about half of the amount you mentioned, however he has rice and oatmeal at most meals...so that might be the difference, yet they are different little boys and the theory is if they are hungry then feed them....one question however...I discussed foods with my doctor and she told me definitely not to give Matteo fish?? so it is interesting that you have been told differently??....Nathanh look so healthy and I must get one of those food bags too!!

Tammi and Erwin said...

Definitely different doctors! On the vacinations I would have rathered the one at a time approach, as I am nervous about them! It might have to do with the fact that Nathanh had already had most of them done in Vietnam with no reaction mentioned or recorded. The only reason they seem like a lot now is that to only give him what he needs they have to give the vaccinations one at a time. If he had been born in Canada the vacinations are combined so one shot may have given him 5 or 6 things all at once.
As for the fish, it was actually what our pediatrician said to start with for proteins. She said to start with white fish and then if there was no reaction to move to salmon as it is filled with all of the good fats - omega 3's and 6's. She recommended the book "First Meals" to us by Annabel Karmel (Canadian Edition). I am not going quite as quickly at introducing foods as the book suggests but I am getting good ideas about combining flavors and textures.
I highly recommend the food bag. Nathanh LOVES it and you can put so many things in it...steamed veggies so they get the idea of chewing to get the food out. there are a few different brands but I went with the Nuby because of the handle.
As for the amount he eats...I am stunned but every time I ask the dr. or nurse about it they say it is fine and to remember that we are working towards Nathanh being able to sustain himself and continue to gain weight on food only by one year.
Matteo is looking happy and healthy too so I guess it is true, they know what they need!