Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Day 3 - Vienna

Nathanh and I got up bright and early this morning to catch a boat to Vienna!  Never in a million years did I imagine that I'd be spending any time in Vienna this summer!
Nathanh quite excited about going on a boat!  He did not sleep the whole way there...but he certainly entertained the other passengers!

When we got off the boat this was our view!  We were four metro stops from the main tourist area in Vienna...it was not so easy at first to find my way around the metro with a stroller (had to find the lifts) and no understanding of the language but with the help of a nice lady I was able to get my bearings.

The view when we finally emerged from the metro!  So European!



I picked up a sandwich for lunch and we sat on a bench in the museum quarter.  The grass was being cut so Nathanh was very interested in the lawn mower and kept pointing and running towards it.

Loving the fountains...if only he could have gotten out of the stroller and jumped in!

Chasing the pigeons...Nathanh still doesn't understand why they kept leaving him...he only wanted to be their friend!

My Nathanh always stops to smell the flowers!  Apparently, the sign said keep off the grass.  I didn't see the picture version until later...oops!

I had to put him in the stroller to get past this fountain.  He would have gone swimming in an instant!  Unfortunately he didn't need to because right after this photo the rain cloud burst and we got quite wet!

With the rain coming down I made the executive decision that we needed to go on a covered horse drawn carriage ride.  I think this is when Nathanh finally learned the difference between dog and horse.  Until then he had been calling horses doggy!

Nathanh inside the carriage.  It wasn't as peaceful as one might imagine rolling down the streets of Vienna could be.  Nathanh was VERY active and wanted to climb everywhere.  He also took quite the shine to the carriage door handles...no not very relaxing at all!  But it was dry!

We had about an hour left before we had to be back at the boat to return to Bratislava.  I was feeling kind of done with the tourist area and wanted to give Nathanh a bit of time to run around before the boat ride back.  So on my Vienna map there was a big ferris wheel at one of the metro stations.  I figured there would be something fun there and I was ready to explore so off we went.  What we found was a huge amusement park.  Nathanh was overwhelmed with all of the music, lights and rides.  He didn't know which way to look and I thought his head might fall off with all of the bopping to the beat it was doing! 

Mommy's sun glasses were still a hit though!
After a stroll through the amusement park and a sketchy diaper change we headed back to the boat.  Nathanh fell asleep about five minutes before we got on the boat and slept almost the whole way back.  When he woke up he was his usual silly self and made quite a few friends.  One lady saw that I was signing to him and ended up communicating with us through sign (due to the language barrier)  It was very cool!

No comments: