Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Visas

Today has been busy.  It started off with a doctor's appointment with Nathanh.  His bug bite from yesterday was still swollen and red this morning.  So I thought I should be on the safe side and take him in.  Although, by the time we got there the swelling had gone down a lot.  Oh well, better safe than sorry.  The doctor did prescribe a cream to help with the ichiness and the heat,  so not a wasted visit. 

Then I dropped Nathanh off for a play date so that I could get some stuff done.  I contacted my work and now we are just waiting for dates so that the paperwork part of my leave can actually get done.  Then it was time to tackle the Vietnam visas.  The forms for Erwin and I were easy enough to fill out and I already had the necessary photos to go a long with it.  But then I contacted the Vietnamese Embassy about current visa costs and Nathanh's visa waiver.  After answering a few of their questions, they said he didn't need anything because his Vietnamese passport is still valid (he holds dual citizenship).  The thing is, I am a bit nervous about this.  I would much prefer it if we were all travelling on Canadian passports.  In his Vietnamese passport it has his Vietnamese name, so our names won't even match.  I don't know, Erwin and I ALWAYS seem to have airport and visa issues so I just want to do what I can to have a smooth entry and exit from Vietnam.  (That being said, we probably haven't had a big issue in about 6 years).  Erwin thinks it is all fine and is actually happy about saving the $139.  So my question is should I worry or just go with it? 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for all of you, Tammi! We'll be following along with you and praying that all goes more smoothly than you could possibly hope. Every good wish from all the MacKays.

Francesca said...

Well it seems that Visas are handled differently in different provinces. I'd check with your Adoption agency to see what other families have experienced. However in Ontario, when one family went back to adopt a second time, their first son, who had the two citizenship…was given a 5 year visa as were the parents. For another family in BC, I understand from another family's blog that their daughter got a little red book that said she was exempt from needing a Visa…so not sure why it is different??? Good luck! So exciting…I'll be following along too!

Tammi and Erwin said...

Thanks Adrienne, I hope it all goes smoothly (and quickly) too!

Francesca, I don't think province is the difference as all visas go through the Embassy of Vietnam in Ottawa. A visa waiver is a 5 year document, issued to Vietnamese citizens when their Vietnamese passport is expired. Because Nathanh's passport is not expired, there would be no reason to issue a waiver if he travelled on his Vietnamese passport. I however, would prefer him to travel on his Canadian passport. Mostly because his name is the same as ours and ease of re-entering Canada. So when I sent the documents away to the Embassy I only included Nathanh's Canadian passport. When they read that his place of birth is Vietnam, I think they will issue the 5 year visa waiver to him. But I guess I'll know for sure in about 5 days! I'll be sure to let you know for your upcoming trip:)