Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Emergency!

Today I had my first really big scare with Nathanh and he had his first trip to Emergency!


We were just coming home from a walk and heading in to get some lunch. I put Nathanh down on our front veranda while I unlocked the door. He went to a little table we have where he has his bubble wand and then I saw him look at the stairs and step towards them. I immediately went to grab him so that he wouldn’t fall down the stairs. However, Nathanh and I have been playing a lot of fun chase games lately so I guess when he saw me come towards him he thought we were playing and he started running right towards the stairs. I was not expecting this and just couldn’t get to him fast enough. It was absolutely terrifying he literally ran off of the top step, there are three steps, and landed head first on the cement below. Even if he had fallen down the stairs it would have been better. He would probably have been more bruised up but the impact would not have been as severe.

It was horrible, did I say that already? I ran to him and scooped him up off the cement his head was scraped and bleeding a bit and he was SCREAMING. I would have been too...it was horrible. I tried to put ice or a cold cloth on the bump that was forming but Nathanh would not have any of it and just kept screaming. After 20 minutes and a quick phone call to Erwin we headed to Emergency.

In the car on the way he stopped screaming and fell asleep, which scared me too because I didn’t want him to sleep with a possible concussion. Anyways I just got there as quickly as I could. He woke up when we arrived at the hospital. We registered and I was so scared and worried. But by about an hour after the fall Nathanh seemed to be back to his regular self again... except for the large bump that had formed on his head over his left eye. Actually, he was the entertainment of the waiting room! He kind of liked going from person to person and trying out the head game with them and then of course there were the automatic doors that he kept trying to run out of... all of the little old ladies assured me that I had my work cut out with me with this one!

Four hours later we finally got to see a doctor. Nathanh checked out okay and was cleared to fly tomorrow - thank goodness!

No comments: