Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Moth

On Tuesday night, after we got the proposal for our little boy, Erwin and I were heading out to share the news with my parents. (After I convinced Erwin to bail on movie night with the guys...not an easy thing to do, I might add). On our way out the door I thought there was a leaf stuck in the soffit above the door as I took a closer look, Erwin commented that it was a moth and that it had been there, in the same spot all day. He had seen it in the morning on his way out to work. This was a very large moth by BC standards – not your everyday white gypsy moth at all. I had never seen one like it before. It was large and had white, grey and brown patterns on its wings with a very fat abdomen.

Once we got in the car and were on our way, Erwin said it was funny about the moth. He had noticed it this morning and had thought to himself then that we must be going to get a visitor. He explained to me that in Tamil (Erwin has a Tamil background) superstition / tradition / folklore a moth over the door of your home means that you will get a visitor. I wonder if that includes a new member of the family?

After we got home I wanted to take a picture of the moth to remember its significance. Unfortunately the moth had flown away by then. I tried to find a picture of a similar moth on the internet but didn’t find anything that I thought looked the same.  Oh well.

No comments: