Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Math Time

At dinner tonight Nathanh said, "Mom, when Thianna's 5, I'll be 10!"

The teacher in me needed to explore this more.  So I asked Nathanh why he thought that.  I got an explanation that impressed me and shows Nathanh's thinking skills (even if they were wrong in this case).  He explained that Thianna is two now and he is four, "so you just double Thianna's age to get my age."  Five plus five is ten so I'll be ten when Thianna's five.  Good thinking!  

The teacher in me also needed to correct him and explain that he will always be two years older than Thianna. He was even more excited when we figured out that he'd be seven when she is five:)






1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

As a Kind/one teacher this year I love that reasoning! Good for him!